When you change your summer house for winter apartment or close your manufacture building for the cold season, it is of utmost importance to ensure that HVAC system is in order. Unless you plan to renovate it in spring, ensure that you clean it and check it beforehand. Otherwise you risk being urged to deal with it in winter. Once HVAC is checked and cleaned you can proceed to move efficiently and feel safe about your summer residence or manufacturing business.
According to solutions HVAC experts all preparations of the system must be done before the temperature drops below zero, so the end of September is just the right time for it! So the list of must-dos for HVAC winter preparation includes:
- Investment in draft snakes that will prevent warm air from seeping out of the system and vice versa.
- Changing the air filter in order to alleviate any autumn allergens and pathogens in case you plan on using the building till the cold times. If no, filters can be replaces in spring.
- Clean vents if you know how; if you don’t, call expert in solutions for HVAC.
- Go through all pipes to check their insulation qualities. If needed, reinsulate them again.
While the tips described above are universal, it is still highly advised that you consult an expert before getting any business done. Look for a solutions HVAC professional who will perform a standard maintenance check-up to ensure that your system does not require any more help. Here is a list of things that a professional has to check:
- Air ducts: must be check and cleaned every time.
- Refrigerant: the level of refrigerant in the system must be checked and refilled.
- Leaks: all present and perspective leaks must be carefully treated.
- Evaporator coil’s airflow: must be measured.
- Electric control sequence: must be verifying to guarantee proper working of the whole HVAC system. If left untreated may result into complete malfunction of the system.
- Oil motors: must be check and refilled or replaced if needed. Same process is applicable for belts tightness and wear.
- Check thermostat’s accuracy.
If you are short on money and do not want to pay more to the HVAC expert than you need to, you can do some job yourself. The easiest and yet very essential step before anything can be checked is to clean natural debris around condenser unit. All you need is clean out all grime, dirt, weeds, sticks, and leaves that build up around the condenser unit over the summer. Once you clean everything, you can call a professional for the maintenance check-up described above.