You know that proper planning is a bigger half of an efficient move. If you deal with issues step-by-step, you can ensure that nothing is missed and you move stress-free. In case you plan nothing, you risk having troubles with moving companies, packing, forgetting things, not meeting deadlines, etc. So in order to make sure that your move goes smoothly, plan everything ahead and write down your to-do checklist. Below you can find an example of a moving checklist regardless of your type of moving.
2 Months Before
- Sort and clean. Go through all your belongings and decide what you take with. Everything you don’t need put into a separate pile to donate, sell or just throw away.
- Research. Start checking local moving companies for your moving date. Check their credentials and reviews.
- Make a list. Create a to-do list to keep track of everything about your relocation.
6 Weeks Before
- Supplies. Collect boxes, bubble wrap, paper, and anything else you will need for packing. Call your moving company for help if needed.
- Take measurements. Measure your furniture to make sure they will fit into the existing doorways, otherwise discuss possible ways out with the mover.
- Confirm the arrangements. Call your moving company and ensure that they remember about your relocation. Finalize any details about the moving day.
- Start packing. Pack everything you don’t need every day to simplify further packing. Make sure to mark all boxes and keep everything in order.
- Separate valuables. Pack important documents and valuables to put them aside so that they move with you and not in the moving truck.
- Change the address. Call the post office, any subscription agencies, and any other interested parties to notify about your address change.
2 Weeks Before
- Work and school. Inform your employer and kids school about your relocation. Two weeks is the perfect period to prepare all necessary documents that you may need.
- Moving company. Call your mover again to reconfirm all the arrangements.
A Few Days Before
- Pack the suitcase. Pack all the things that you will need during the first week at a new place and finalize packing.
- Defrost the fridge. Stop buying food and ensure that you eat everything from the fridge to prepare it for the moving day.
- Tips. Get some cash for the moving day so that you can tip your moving team.
Now the day X is here. So check everything before your movers come. Ensure that you go through all details once they arrive on the porch, sign final papers and get on the road to the new life!